Thursday, May 23, 2013

Inspiring Children and Lemonade Stands

I'm the kind of person to get  involved in all this stuff, even if it's just behind-the-scenes at the moment. Last year, I found this blog just randomly and I was bored and decided, what the hey? I was immediately inspired  and I fell in love with the little girl who began this thing sleflessly and knowing that she might die someday.

I'm talking about Alex's Lemonade Stand, founded by Alexandra Flynn Scott (pic below. Isn't she adorable?) in 2004. She was diagnosed with neuroblastoma (a type of cancer) shortly before her first birthday and her doctor said she might never walk again (of course, she did). She was cancer-free until the year 2000 when the family found out that the tumors had begun to grow again.



She decided to start a lemonade stand to raise money and (in her words): "...give the money to doctors to allow them to help other kids, like they helped me" 

She started her stand with her older brother and they raised $2000 in that first year. Amazing or amazing?

I fell in love right there and decided to "adopt" her charity. I want to be a part of what she started and the only way I can do that  is through my writing. So I will.

Unfortunately, Alex passed away in 2008 at the age of 8 but she had raised more than $1 million with the help of her parents and so many wonderful people who were inspired by her story. She is more than an inspiration. It could not have been easy with all those treatments that make one sick and tired all the time, but she did it. We could all definitely take a page out of her book.

Alex Fact: She wanted to be a fashion designer. Go Lex!

If you want to be a part of the action, you can go here to learn more.

Also, if you want to know more about Alex (and yes, you want to) go here.

Join the fight and help them out in finding a cure and all.

Love,

Golda x

No comments:

Post a Comment